Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Autumnal Thoughts

I am sitting at my dining room table facing the water, listening to Hawaiian slack key guitar music, sipping tea and waiting for the sun to get just a little closer to the horizon so that I can go out and bid farewell to the day. It always amazes me how perfectly Hawaiian music fits here. I guess natural beauty celebrated in sound is appropriate no matter where you are.

The sky is filled with small, puffy, cotton ball clouds. There are clouds here like no other place I have ever been. At times there will be wispy, sweeping ‘angel wing’ clouds stretching across the sky that take your breath away they are so stunning. They often appear directly in front of our house.  It’s hard not to feel wealthy here! Life just keeps giving and giving. All l I have to do is accept and receive.

Tonight is the new moon.  It’s perfect weather to cozy up on the porch, watch the Milky Way and look for shooting stars. Just a few days ago it officially became autumn. One has to be delicately attuned to feel a difference as yet. It’s not unlike San Diego in that the light changes and there seems to just a little nip in the air in the mornings and evenings. After all, the thermometer has gotten down to 76! (And this causes us to put on sweaters; oh how quickly we have adapted to the new climate!)
Rowdy tidepooling

With the new moon the tidal swings are extreme. Today’s low tide found Rowdy and me out at the tide pools, enjoying the warm water and wandering here and there. Rowdy is always ecstatic to be in the pools as his favorite pastime is fishing, and our 3 trips there today were simply not enough for his taste. I took my camera and played with underwater photography. There is a certain pool roughly 45 yards out and normally under a good deal of water, which is my favorite. I call it the Castle Pool. At some point in time someone poured a concrete wall way out there – for the life of me I can’t imagine why- but it forms a protected 4 foot deep pool that always has fish and plant life in it. And if Rowdy isn’t bounding across it, it is crystal clear and peaceful.

Lately there have been numerous mobula rays in the bay that repeatedly jump out of the water and fly through the air. Sometimes they land gracefully, sometimes they belly flop. When I first noticed them I Googled ’rays of Baja’ to try and learn something about the phenomenon. Not much info, but some great You Tube clips. Robert and I have been utterly entertained and spent quite a bit of time swimming with them yesterday, just enjoying the show.

Hurricane Hillary is south of Cabo San Lucas right now and it is possible that we might get a little rain this weekend, though it is rare that any storm makes it this far north. I think Pt. Abreojos has an average rainfall of 3” per year, though we’ve been in a drought for some time now…..

Chris, Tracey, Robert, Tattay and Rowdy
We had our first guests this past weekend. Tracey, Chris, and their dog Tattay, stopped by for a couple of nights on their way down to Punta Conejo. What a wonderful time we had entertaining and relaxing. As we have been building I keep seeing us entertaining, but until now it has only been an occasional dinner party. (Admittedly the 13 hour drive here might be a drawback :) They seemed to enjoy walking out the driveway to take a dip in the warm water, occasionally casting a fishing line and long beach walks.

We will be spending 2 weeks in Hawaii in mid-Oct. I am really excited about that too!!  Weston Jolly's Hawaii Retreat– our annual gift to ourselves!  It will be interesting to see how the tropics feel after the desert. And as always, a change of pace and scenery is good for the creative spirit. In that vein of thought I plan to visit Oaxaca in Feb. (Look for a blog on that trip soon, as we still need 4 people to complete the list!)

Summer has been absolutely exquisite and I am looking forward to seeing what fall will bring. I hear that it is the most beautiful season here. I can’t imagine it being any more splendid!

No comments:

Post a Comment