Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Glow

There’s something here. I don’t know exactly how to explain it. It’s not something that has coalesced into my mind yet, but I know it. I can feel it. It’s in the Earth and it has a rhythm, a heartbeat. I guess this is what attracts those who come here so often to surf, fish, ride buggies, or just explore. They are aficionados who return again and again craving this heartbeat, though it seems to be veiled with a mask of ‘doing something’. I felt it the 1st day here as we walked along the beach from our house. It was late afternoon and we strolled across the hard packed sand at the water’s edge delighting in the cool breeze and free movement after being car-confined for 2 days. We wandered about a mile or so down the beach and when we circled around to return I felt it. I saw it.
Right there, ahead of me, as I looked across the crescent beach back at La Beliza – the area where we’ve built. The land glowed. It pulsed; it radiated and an inner light shone through that was dazzling. I had not been here but 2 hours and I already had seen my 1st painting. Sandwiched between ocean and sky, blues and greens like jewels, I saw this glowing orange heart in the strip of land. Fascinating…..

And this is what I have been attempting to capture on canvas. It has proved exhilarating and elusive. How to perfectly represent this beauty? It leaves me in awe. It is so much larger than life, so much deeper than what I have experienced here before and it seems that perhaps a whole new series will emerge from this – Baja Landscapes. My aim is to capture this feeling, this primal depth that revealed itself to me that day on the beach.

I walk often, sit and quietly breathe a lot, listening for any other secrets it cares to reveal. That fleeting glimpse into another dimension revealed something extraordinary, something elusive, something many return again and again to experience. Perhaps they know of what I speak? Or maybe not in words so much as desire, desire to be swallowed up whole once again by this Glow.


1 comment: